Monday, 25 March 2019

Driving a Motorhome

Driving a Motorhome

You need the right licence to drive a motorhome or campervan, and your vehicle needs to be within UK size limits.

Licence requirements

The licence you need to drive a motorhome depends on your age and the vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM). This is the vehicle’s weight plus the maximum load it can carry.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 licence.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of over 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C licence.

Check which vehicles you can drive and the licence and age requirements for towing.

Licence requirements may be different in Northern Ireland.

Importing a motorhome and size limits
To import a motorhome into the UK permanently you’ll need to register it.

The size of motorhomes is restricted in the UK - you can’t register one more than 12 metres long and 2.55 metres wide.

The measurements don’t include driving mirrors, rear bumpers, lamps, or reflectors.

There’s no height limit, but if the motorhome is over 3 metres tall you must have a notice showing the height where the driver can see it.


Driving a Motorhome

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Motorhome Travels 2020

The map above will show all of the stops I’ve stayed in with my motorhome during 2020. Just zoom in and click on any of the motorhome i...